Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Deep Thinking. . .



At the end of 2019, I finished reading the Bible through for the 10th or 11th time.  I’ve forgotten exactly how many times, but that’s not important.  Every time I read through the Bible, I find myself in renewed awe of God’s Word.  Every time through, I find something new; well, it’s not new, because it’s in there, it’s new to me because it is revealed to me in a different way. 

This time, I learned something that has really made me think.  I mean deep thinking, like the statue of the thinker, deep.  The New Testament tell us that Jesus, while walking on earth, marvelled over two things.  Let’s look at them:

The first is found in Matthew 8:10 “When Jesus heard [it], he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.” Jesus marvelled at this faith.  This faith was the faith of the centurion that came to Jesus on behalf of his servant that was sick.  The centurion, a Roman, knew that Jesus was the only hope for his servant.  He besought Jesus to just say the word and the servant would be healed.  Jesus said to the centurion that He would go to the man’s house.  The centurion said no, I’m not worthy, just say the word and my servant will be healed.  Jesus marvelled at this man’s faith.  Jesus told the crowd that He had not seen such great faith in all of Israel. 

The second time is found in Mark 6:6 “And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.  Jesus went to His own country and began to teach in the synagogue.  The people said isn’t this Jesus, Mary’s boy?  The scripture says they were astonished.  Jesus marvelled at their unbelief—their lack of faith. Because of their lack of faith, Jesus did not do many mighty works.  

This amazes me.  Jesus marvels over one thing—our faith.  The Lord Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, marvels over our faith.  He told the disciples that if they had faith the size of a grain of a mustard seed, they could move mountains. 

The Bible also tells us in Romans 12:3 “For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think [of himself] more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.  God has given to us the measure of faith that we need. 

Let’s pull this together:  while walking on this earth, Jesus marvelled over a great faith and a lack of faith.  Jesus told the disciples that all we need is faith the size of a grain of a mustard seed and we could move mountains.  God has provided us the measure of faith.  Jesus is marveling over your faith; is it because it is great or because it is lacking?  Perhaps the Lord isn't working in your life because your lack of faith is hindering His working.    Is the Lord marvelling over your lack of faith?  

No comments:

Let me introduce you to George. . .

 As you may know, several years ago, my family jumped into the world of foster care.  For these last years, it’s been babies, babies, toddle...