Thursday, December 11, 2014

Psst! It's a Secret!

Psst.  Can I tell you a secret?  It's two weeks from Christmas day and I'm a bit depressed.  During this time of year that we are supposed to be jolly and merry, I find myself depressed.  This is going to be a challenging year for my family.  This year will mark the first anniversary of my mother-in-law going to Heaven. This year also marks the first anniversary of my wife's grandmother's home going.  And yes, I'm finding myself struggling a bit with depression.  Oh, and need I add to this the fact that my sister-in-law and her family moved back to their mission field of Argentina early this fall?

I'm not a Scrooge or a Grinch, we've decorated the house, hung the stockings with care, and the front yard is all aglow with icicle lights and yard decorations.  Just the other day I wore a Santa hat to work.  From all outward appearances, it should be a Merry Christmas.

But the truth?  I find myself on the verge of tears every now and then.  I find myself sighing deeply. Instead of feeling merry, I feel melancholy.  Usually, buying presents for my loved ones brings me great joy, but this year, part of me feels like I am just going through the motions.

Do you know what I've realized over the last couple of days?  It's okay.  Believe it or not, it's okay to feel  depressed.  Why?  Because it's an honest emotion.  A couple of weeks ago, I posted a mini Facebook rant about pride and how God hates pride.

That post has stuck in my mind and I've come to the conclusion just a few moments ago why it is sticking in my mind.  I was being too proud to admit to myself that I was going through a bout of depression.

Do you know that the Bible teaches us about how to handle depression?  Oh, it's wonderful.  Let me set the context for you.  David and his men are hiding in plain sight among the Philistines.  The Philistines decide to go to war against Israel and don't want David to have any part of that battle so they send him and his men home to Ziklag.

When David and his men get home, they find that their city of Ziklag has been attacked and set fire, but even worse their families have been kidnapped.  David's men get terribly upset and they blame David--in fact, they're about to stone him when we read the verse of 1 Samuel 30:6 "And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God."

Did you catch it?  Reread that verse.  When David was distressed, which the dictionary defines as experiencing extreme sorrow and discomfort, notice what he did. . . He encouraged himself in the Lord!  The very next verses tell us that David called for the priest and they prayed!  

So, we'll have a Merry Christmas.  The boys will be excited about their presents.  My lovely wife will hopefully enjoy the gifts I am getting her.  (Yes dear, I have started your Christmas shopping.)  I may be a bit depressed, my smile may be a bit wistful.  But I'll spend some time praying and encouraging myself in the Lord, and it will be okay. 

If you find yourself depressed this time of the year, give yourself a Christmas present and realize, it's okay to be depressed.  It's okay.  Admit you're struggling and seek the Lord's help.  

Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.  

No comments:

Let me introduce you to George. . .

 As you may know, several years ago, my family jumped into the world of foster care.  For these last years, it’s been babies, babies, toddle...